Hello LT Families,
Spring is right around the corner!! Which means lots of things are coming up in Life Teen. Please take a few minutes to review this update.
Life Nights: In March we begin a new 4 week Life Night series, “(Censored)”. Our culture has a particular perception of Jesus. Some people see Jesus as judgmental and condemning. Others see Jesus as all-loving and permissive. Still others see Jesus as a character from a fairytale and others simply as a historical figure, but not God. The image of Jesus we have may fit into one of these categories or may be something completely different.
Jesus is the full revelation of God, so when we look at all that Jesus said and did, we get a beautiful picture of who God is. There are some things, however, that we shy away from when we talk about Jesus. They are the parts of His life that make us uncomfortable.
When we start to ignore or censor these parts of who Jesus was, we create a “fake Jesus.” If Jesus is God’s full revelation, it is vitally important that we do the best we can to fully understand who Jesus is and separate the “fact” from the “fiction.” (Censored) is going to do just that.
I encourage our parents to ask their teens about the Life Nights. Please do not hesitate to contact me for any questions.
3/10: “Beggar”- A Life Night on Jesus and the Poor
3/17: NO LN: PARISH MISSION- “Signed and Sealed with the Cross” We encourage all LT families to attend!
3/24: “Exorcist” – A Life Night on Jesus as Healer
3/31: NO LN: Spring Break
Life Night Meals: Life Teen is looking for a family to prepare our meal on 3/24/19! Please email me a email@example.com, if you are interested in preparing the meal.
The Life Teen closet is in need of 2 liter sodas. If you can donate any brand/any flavor, please drop off at the Life Teen office.
Life Teen Events:
- Spring Retreat: March 1-3, 2019 @ Covecrest in Tiger, GA. Please keep our 100 retreat participants in your prayers as we embark on a “Timeless” retreat. Please join us for the 5pm Life Teen Mass on Sunday, 3/3/19! What to Bring list can be found at www.stoliverslifeteen.com under the Forms tab. Please remember to bring your snacks to share when you check in!
- Homework Hangout: Mondays, 3/11 & 3/25, 6pm-8pm. Meet at Boulder Creek Coffeehouse in downtown Lawrenceville for homework help or just to hangout.
- Upper Room (Junior/Senior Bible Study): Wednesday, 3/27 6:30pm-8pm at the Rectory. Bible Study led by Core members: Savanna Ziegler and Josh Tierra.
- Mission:Possible: June 2-6, 2019. Mark you calendars for this week of service to our community!!! Sign up and permission slip now available on the “How Can I Serve” board in the Life Teen room. Parents, if you are interested in volunteering during Mission (the whole week or a few days), please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. We do need volunteers to help make this event a success!
- Steubenville Atlanta: July 12-14, 2019. FINAL CALL for all interested in attending this great event. Steubenville Atlanta is put on every year by Franciscan University of Steubenville and Life Teen. This conference is full of worship, Sacraments, community, and prayer. This conference will bring thousands of teens across the nation together to journey alongside one another towards Christ. Sign up NOW available in the Life Teen room. Due to limited spots available, a deposit of $50 is due by Sunday, March 10, 2019 (FINAL DEADLINE). Cost of this weekend opportunity will be $225. Fee includes: Registration fee, all meals (Friday dinner through Sunday lunch), transportation and lodging. This event is held in Gwinnett County at the Infinite Energy Center with many incredible speakers, including Mark Hart from Life Teen!!!!
- National Catholic Youth Conference (NCYC): November 21-23, 2019 in Indianapolis, Indiana. Info on this 20,000+ teen conference should be here soon! Check out this promo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=45&v=UQ6bli2Cq14 (2 St. Oliver teens are in it at :13)
- Ash Wednesday: Wednesday, March 6, 2019: Mass Times: 6:30am, 9am, 5pm, 7:00pm Church (Spanish), 7:00pm Kane-Beltran Family Center (English)
- St. Oliver Men’s Club Fish Fry Friday: Our Men’s Club has solved your Friday night “what are we going to eat for dinner?” You are invited to the St. Oliver’s Men’s Club Fish Fry Fridays during Lent (3/8, 3/15, 3/22, 3/29, 4/5 and 4/12) Dinner served or take out available from 5:30pm-8pm. Check bulletin for the reasonable prices!
- Stations of the Cross—Fridays in Lent 7:00pm (English) – 8:00pm (Spanish)
- 3/8, 3/22, 4/5, 4/12- Traditional Stations of the Cross
- 3/15 – Family Stations of the Cross (Each Station led by a family)
- We are encouraging all families to attend and to please consider “hosting” a station. The Sign-Up Genius link below will take you to a list of the stations, you simply sign up your family for one and you are responsible for reading and explaining that one station as we go around to each one. This is family oriented, so it does not need to be an elaborate explanation, just 1-3 minutes on what’s going on in the picture. This will be a casual retelling of the stations, so all ages are welcome to participate! This is a WONDERFUL way to share this important tradition of the Catholic Church with your families during the holy season of Lent. While we focus on sacrifice, charity, and prayer, we sincerely ask that you commit to hosting a station and attending this exciting new event. To sign up for a station- https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090F45AAA723A7FA7-family
- 3/29 – Children’s Stations of the Cross (Stations with explanations for children)
- Lenten Mass & Healing Service: Saturday, March 9 @ 9am Father Jim Blount, S.O.L.T., Presider.
NEW: During the Saturdays in Lent, St. Oliver’s will be offering a 9am Mass.
- Sacrament of Reconciliation in Lent: NEW: Saturday mornings: 9:30-10:30, Saturday afternoons: 3:30-4:30pm (as usual)
- Red Cross Blood Drive: Sunday, March 10th, 8am-1pm, Kane-Beltran Family Center
- Parish Lenten Mission: Want a great way to deepen your 2019 Lenten journey? Attend our Parish Mission: “Signed and Sealed by the Cross”, Presenter Father Albert Haase, OFM. Get to know our Lenten Mission speaker at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RjUT6_J27o. Parish Lenten Mission is March 17-19 at 7pm in the Church.
- Hispanic Lenten Retreat: “Conversión y Reconciliación en la Familia” Sunday-Tuesday, March 24-26, 7:00pm, Church
- Parish Lenten Penance Service: Thursday, March 28th, 7pm Church
- Adult Education: Our Catholic Church encourages are parents to be leaders of the faith to their children. St. Oliver’s offers our parents opportunities to help YOU grow in your faith. Please check the bulletin for ongoing faith formation.
- Holy Year/Holy Book: Thursday, March 14, 7pm JPII Adult Ed Center or Friday, March 15 @ 9:45am JPII Adult Ed Center
- Deacon Randy will lead a discussion focused on the beauty of the Liturgical Year (the Church Calendar) and how the Lectionary (the Church’s Scripture Readings for Mass) work together in a wonderful interplay. Join us as we consider how the Liturgical Year keeps us focused on the life, ministry, death and resurrection of Jesus.
- Bishop Barron “The Mass” (3 part series): Mondays-3/25, 4/1 and 4/8 7pm JPII Adult Ed Center OR Tuesdays-3/26, 4/2 and 4/9 9:45am JPII Adult Ed Center
- The Mass is the “source and summit” of our Catholic Faith. Join us as Deacon Bill and Deacon Randy lead a consideration of the Holy Mass. Using a combination of Bishop Barron’s DVDs and group discussion, we will unpack the mystery and the beauty of the Eucharist, the heart of our Faith.
- Pop Tab Collection: Life Teen is collecting pop tabs for the Ronald McDonald Atlanta houses. Please bring your donation, marked with your class grade. This is a contest between all religious education classes at St. Oliver’s.
- St. Oliver Fish Fry Fridays: Our Men’s Club offers invaluable support to our youth, so Life Teen volunteers to help with the Men’s Club Fish Fry during Lent. We volunteer as classes, but you can help on any Friday! Seniors: 3/8, Juniors: 3/15, Sophomores: 3/22, Freshmen: 3/29, 8th Graders: 4/5, All Classes: 4/12. Check in is in the Family Center Lobby. Check in by 5:45pm in the Family Center Lobby and you should be done by 8:30pm. Please wear closed toed shoes and a Life Teen shirt. Hair should be pulled back. You do receive a yummy meal for volunteering during the evening.
- Night Shelter: Saturday, 3/23/19 4:45pm-9pm Spots available. Permission slip available at www.stoliverslifeteen.com (click on forms tab) or on the How Can I Serve board in the Life Teen room.
- Rowdy Roots: Friday, 3/22/19, 6:45pm-9:15pm, Room 17-18. Help our 3rd-5th graders enjoy a fun night. Sign up on the How Can I Serve board in the LT room.
- Life Teen Jewelry Fundraiser: Looking for religious jewelry to enhance your faith journey, or to give as gifts? (First Communion, Confirmation, Mother’s Day and Graduations are just around the corner!) Life Teen will be selling a variety of quality jewelry including: Catholic medals, bracelets, rosaries, rings, necklaces, and much more. Our jewelry fundraiser will be following the Masses on the weekends of March 16-17 and March 23-24 in the Family Center lobby.
What is AmazonSmile? AmazonSmile is a website operated by Amazon that lets customers enjoy the same wide selection of products, low prices, and convenient shopping features as on Amazon.com. The difference is that when customers shop on AmazonSmile (smile.amazon.com), the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the price of eligible purchases to the charitable organizations selected by customers.
How does AmazonSmile work? When first visiting AmazonSmile, customers are prompted to select a charitable organization from over one million eligible organizations (select St. Oliver Plunkett Catholic Church). In order to browse or shop at AmazonSmile, customers must first select a charitable organization. For eligible purchases at AmazonSmile, the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price to the customer’s selected charitable organization.
- FIATs: All FIATs should be turned in by your final class in March. Need ideas on what to do…check out the How Can I Serve board in the Life Teen room or see me!
- 1st Year:
- Teen and PARENT class: Wednesday, March 13, 2019. Class begins promptly at 7pm. Teens meet in Life Teen room, Parents meet in the Church.
- Teen/Sponsor Day of Reflection: Saturday, March 16, 2019, Check in 8:45am in the Family Center Lobby. The day ends at 3pm. If Sponsor cannot attend, Parent is required to attend with the Candidate.
- 2nd Year:
- Teen and PARENT class: Wednesday, March 20, 2019. Class begins promptly at 7pm. EXTENDED CLASS TIME TILL 9PM. We will be meeting to review the Confirmation Liturgy information. Teens meet in Life Teen room, Parents meet in the Church.
- Confirmation Liturgy is on Sunday, May 5, 2019 at the 5pm Life Teen Mass.
Thank you for taking the time to review all this info! We appreciate your support of our youth and the parish!!!
In Christ’s service,