Hello LT Families,
Here is our final Life Teen Update for 2019! Lots of info to share with you all, so please make sure you read this update!
12/15: “Journey to Bethlehem” (See below for our Ugly Christmas Sweater Contest Info)
12/22: No Life Night
12/29: No Life Night
1/5: No Life Night
Life Nights return on Sunday, 1/12/2020!
Life Night Meals:
On Sunday Life Nights, we need to feed our teens dinner. This is where we need our PARENTS to help. Please note that Life Teen provides the funds for the meal! Thank you to all our Life Teen families that have fed us this semester. Our Spring semester has the following Sunday Life Night open dates: 1/26/20, 2/9/20, 2/23/20, 3/1/20, 3/22/20, 4/19/20, 5/3/20. Please email me: email@example.com if you can prepare a meal for the teens! WE NEED YOUR HELP!!!!
Life Teen Events:
- Ugly Christmas Sweater Contest: Sunday, 12/15 Teens—wear your ugliest Christmas sweater to Life Teen (and if you attend the 5pm Mass)! The winning “Ugly Sweater” will receive a free Spring retreat entrance fee! There will also be 2nd and 3rd place prizes. Originality will score you more points so start working on your masterpiece NOW!
- Life Night Training: Friday, 1/10 Teens…are you interested in helping with our Spring semester of Life Nights? Join us for Life Night Training from 6pm-9pm at the JP II Center. Dinner provided!
- Spring Retreat: March 13-15, 2020 at Covecrest. Our annual Spring Retreat will be here before you know it! Sign up and permission slip is now available in the Life Teen Room on the LT Info board. You can also get a permission slip from the Life Teen website: www.stoliverslifeteen.com. Cost of the retreat is $125.00 and payment due by February 9, 2020. After 2/9/20 the fee is $135.00. Please remember that we accept cash, check or credit card for payment.
- NEW!!! Archdiocese of Atlanta High School Youth Rally: Due to the success of the St. Oliver’s World Youth Day Rally, the Archdiocese of Atlanta has finally realized that teens need to have diocesan events. On Saturday, March 21, 2020, the first annual Archdiocese of Atlanta High School Youth Rally will be hosted at St. Oliver Plunkett! I am excited to announce that our keynote speakers will be Leah Darrow ( https://leahdarrow.com/) and David Bisono (from Brooklyn, NY). Besides the 2 keynotes, there will be a variety of workshops offered, social and service activities, recreational activities with the Atlanta Vocations Office, and much, much more! Bishop Joel Konzen will preside at our closing Mass. Put this date in your calendar and parents…we need MANY VOLUNTEERS! More info will be available when we return in January.
Parish Events: (Please check out the parish bulletin or view online at www.stolivers.com)
- Our Lady of Guadalupe Festivities:
- Vigil of Our Lady of Guadalupe: Wednesday, 12/11/19, 7:30pm in the church. Join us for a special rosary, dancing and hymns to honor our Blessed Mother.
- Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe: Thursday, 12/12/19, 7pm. Join us for a procession, Mass and a fiesta!
- Christmas Mass Schedule:
- Christmas Eve: 4pm Church, 4pm Family Center, 6pm Church, 8pm (Life Teen Mass) Church, 10pm Church
- Christmas Day: 10am Church, Noon (Hispanic) Church
- Solemnity of Mary, The Holy Mother of God (Holy Day of Obligation) Mass Schedule:
- Vigil Mass, 12/31, 5pm in the Church
- 1/1: 10am Church, Noon (Hispanic) Church
- St. Oliver Mardi Gras Gala: Saturday, 2/8/20—SAVE THE DATE! Check the bulletin for details!
Service: (Teens, check out the How Can I Serve Board in the Life Teen Room for service opportunities)
- Life Teen Giving Tree: Gifts need to be returned by Sunday, 12/15! Thank you to all the families that participated in our Life Teen Giving Tree!
- Christmas Festival: Sunday, 12/15/19, 8am -1:15pm (shifts available) Secret Santa Shop, Christmas Ornament Making, etc. Sign up in the LT Room on the How Can I Serve board.
- Church Christmas Decoration: Sunday, 12/22/19, 6pm-8pm in the Church. Help us get the Family Center and Church ready for our Christmas Masses. Sign up in the LT Room on the How Can I Serve board.
- Life Teen Christmas Eve Mass (12/24, 8pm) Liturgical Servers: If you are interested in serving as an Usher/Greeter, Altar Server, Lector or Eucharistic Minister of Holy Communion, please sign up on our How Can I Serve board in the Life Teen room!
- Night Shelter: Saturday, 1/11/20, 4:45pm-9:30pm. Life Teen begins our monthly visits to serve at the Central Night Shelter in downtown Atlanta. Space is limited, so sign up on the “How Can I Serve” board in the LT room. You will also need to complete and turn in a permission slip by this Sunday, 1/5/20. You can find a permission slip at www.stoliverslifeteen.com under the forms tab or on the How Can I Serve board in the LT Room.
- 1st Year
- Teen Candidate Class: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, in the Life Teen room. Class begins promptly at 7pm and ends at 8:30pm. Teens should check in prior to 7pm.
- Parent Class: Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at the JP II Adult Ed Center and in Room 3 for our Hispanic speakers. Class begins promptly at 7pm and ends at 8:30pm.
- Teen Candidate/Sponsor Day of Reflection: Saturday, February, 29, 2020 8:45am-3pm REQUIRED for all 1st Year Students! (This date was originally scheduled for 3/21/20, but had to be rescheduled) More info to follow!
- 2nd Year:
o Teen Candidate class: Wednesday, January 15, 2020. Class begins promptly at 7pm and ends at 8:30pm. Teens should check in prior to 7pm.
- Parent Class: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 at the JP II Adult Ed Center and in Room 3 for our Hispanic speakers. Class begins promptly at 7pm and ends at 8:30pm.
- CONFIRMATION LITURGY DATE: Sunday, April 26, 2020. Please save this date!!!!
- 1st & 2nd Year:
- If you did not attend the Fall retreat, please remember that you are required to attend the Spring Retreat (March 13-15, 2020). Sign up and permission slip for the retreat is now available on the LT Info board located in the LT Room or at www.stoliverslifeteen.com under the forms tab. If you attended the Fall retreat you are also welcomed and encouraged to attend the Spring retreat too!
Thank you for taking the time to review all this info! I appreciate your support of our youth and the parish!!!
In Christ’s service,
St. Oliver Plunkett
770-979-2500, ext. 43