Happy Mardi Gras!
It’s one of my most favorite days of the year! Growing up in New Orleans, this is always a day filled with family, friends, food and fun! Since I am not home celebrating, I am dressed in Mardi Gras colors, wearing some Mardi Gras bling, and dinner tonight will be Popeye’s Fried Chicken!! Tomorrow, I will usher in Lent by attending the 6:30am Ash Wednesday Mass—maybe I will also see some of you guys in the morning!
Here is the latest Life Teen update! Lots of important information, so please read carefully.
Life Teen Faith Formation:
- Family Faith Formation: Families should be working on their February FACE! bag. March FACE! bags will be available 2/24 for pick up. We will send out info on time/dates for pickup via email. Confirmation students: Please turn in any outstanding Touch Base with FACE! forms you may have. This completed form verifies your religious education component for Confirmation preparation.
- Decision Point: Teens, don’t forget that you need to view the weekly Decision Point video and respond to your House Family leader weekly. Confirmation students—you are required to participate each week with your House Family. Our next gathering will be on Sunday, MARCH 7, 2021 from 2:15pm-3:45pm (Please check in on time!). Remember, we meet in the church and wear your mask. Here are the Decision Point gathering dates for the remainder of the school year: March 7 and April 25.
- Spring Retreat: Our Spring is just 10 days away: Saturday, February 27, 2021 from 1:45pm-11pm. This day retreat will be held on the church campus. All teens are invited and encouraged to attend the Spring retreat (even if you attended the Fall retreat!). If you are interested in attending the retreat, please email ASAP as I am ordering the retreat shirts on Wednesday, 2/17. Permission slip is available online at www.stoliverslifeteen.com under the forms tab or you can pick one up from the Life Teen Info board located next to the Life Teen office.
Our retreat theme is “Glory Revealed” and will be presented by the Life Teen missionaries. Lots of awesome talks and activities to help you deepen your relationship with Christ and one another. We will follow all safety and social distancing practices. Please wear your mask, dress comfortably but appropriately for the weather (as we plan on the majority of the events will be outside. I will send out weather update as we get closer to the retreat, but we would love prayers for sunny and 68). Teens will need to bring the following: a great attitude, pen, journal, Bible, and a bag chair. Dinner and snacks will be provided.
- 1st Year Confirmation Candidates (will be confirmed in 2022)
- Certificates required: If you were baptized and/or received 1st Communion at another parish other than St. Oliver’s, I will need a copy of your certificates NOW.
- Sponsor Certification Form: Sponsor Certification Form is due NOW. You can get a Sponsor form at www.stoliverslifeteen.com under the forms tab or on the Confirmation Info board located across from the Life Teen office. If your Sponsor is a member of St. Oliver’s, please return the (almost) completed form to the Life Teen office and I can get the form signed by Father Cyriac. Sponsor form is due NOW. Don’t forget to remind your Sponsor that the Candidate/Sponsor Day of Reflection (that is required) is on Saturday, 4/17/21 from 8:45am-3pm at the church. More info will be sent soon.
- Decision Point: you are required to attend our monthly gatherings and respond weekly to your House Family! Next class is on Sunday 3/7/21. Check in by 2:15pm. Class ends at 3:45pm.
- Spring Retreat: Saturday, 2/27/21, 1:45pm-11pm.All Confirmation students are required to attend one retreat per school year. If you attended the Fall Retreat, you are also invited to attend the Spring retreat. SEE INFORMATION IN THE ABOVE FAITH FORMATION SECTION.
- Service: Mark your calendar for our next Service day: Saturday, 3/20/21 from 1:15pm-3:30pm. Service is a required component of Confirmation preparation.
- Candidate/Sponsor Day of Reflection: 1st Year Confirmation Candidate and their Sponsor are required to attend a Day of Reflection at St. Oliver Plunkett on Saturday, 4/17/21 from 8:45am-3pm. If your Sponsor is unable to attend the Day of Reflection, then a parent must attend with the candidate. Please make sure that you notify your Sponsor now about this date.
- 2nd Year Confirmation Candidates (will be confirmed on 4/18/21—this is the Confirmation date we have been given by the Archbishop office)
- January Assignment: You were all emailed the assignment for 1/20/21. You must email the classwork to Miranda or bring in the 1/20 assignment to your next Confirmation prep class on 2/24/21.
- Decision Point: you are required to attend our monthly gatherings and respond weekly to your House Family! Next class is on Sunday, 3/7/21. Check in by 2:15pm. Class ends at 3:45pm.
- Confirmation Prep Class: Wednesday, 2/24/21. Please check in the church narthex by 6:55pm. Class starts promptly at 7pm. Mask required and bring your journal and pen!
- Spring Retreat: Saturday, 2/27/21, 1:45pm-11pm. All Confirmation students are required to attend one retreat per school year. If you attended the Fall Retreat, you are also invited to attend the Spring retreat. SEE INFORMATION IN THE ABOVE FAITH FORMATION SECTION.
- Service: Mark your calendar for our next Service day: Saturday, 3/20/21 from 8:45am-11:30am. Service is a required component of Confirmation preparation.
Lenten Spirituality: Here are some online resources to help you deepen your Lent in 2021:
- Daily Reflection:
- Lenten Calendar:
Parish Info: (Check out the St. Oliver Plunkett bulletin at www.stolivers.com for all the latest information)
- Ash Wednesday Masses are scheduled on Wednesday, 2/17/21 at 6:30am, 9am, 5pm and 7pm-(Spanish)
- Stations of the Cross will be held on Fridays during Lent (beginning on 2/19) at 7pm in the church and at 8pm in the church for our Hispanic community.
- Lenten Reconciliation will be on Thursday, March 4th at 7pm in the church for our English speaking families and on Tuesday, March 9th for our Spanish speaking families.
If you have any questions, please email me at email@example.com or contact me at 770-978-6751, ext. 43.
As we begin the Lenten season let us all pray:
God our Father, in this Lenten season may we not betray your love by trying to deserve it. Help us to fast from all that distracts us from your love. Help us to recognize you as the origin and goal of all of the desires you place in our hearts. Help us to be true to ourselves and true to you by continuing to beg for your love. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.
~ from the Magnificat Lenten Companion
In Christ’s service,