Hello LT Families,
Time for the March Life Teen Update. It is a very busy month for the parish, so please make sure you take time to review!!
3/15: No Life Night (return from Spring retreat)
3/22: No Life Night (Sunday after Rally)
3/29: No Life Night (Spring Break begins)
SOLT NIGHT: (St. Oliver Life Teen) This is a monthly Wednesday night (6:30pm-8pm) for the teens. Pizza will be provided!
3/25/20: Praise Night
Life Night Meals:
On Sunday Life Nights, we need to feed our teens dinner. This is where we need our PARENTS to help. Please note that Life Teen provides the funds for the meal! Thank you to all our Life Teen families that have fed us this semester. Our last two Life Nights we did not have a Life Teen family step up to prepare our meal. We are hoping that we can get some families to volunteer for the following Sunday Life Night open dates: 3/1/20, 4/19/20, 5/3/20. Please email me: email@example.com if you can prepare a meal for the teens! WE NEED YOUR HELP!!!!
Life Teen Events:
- XLT: Tuesday, March 10, 2020. Join us with other teens from the Archdiocese of Atlanta for a night of worship and hear inspiring words from Father Agustino Torres (he was a presenter at NCYC 2019 and is awesome!!) Permission slip required and you can find on the LT Info board or at www.stoliverslifeteen.com. Form due back to LT office by 3/8/20.
- Spring Retreat: March 13-15, 2020 at Covecrest. Our annual Spring Retreat will be here before you know it! Sign up and permission slip is now available in the Life Teen Room on the LT Info board. You can also get a permission slip from the Life Teen website: www.stoliverslifeteen.com. Cost of the retreat is $135.00 and permission slip is due now! Please remember that we accept cash, check or credit card for payment. If you need to make a payment plan for the retreat, please see me.
- Archdiocese of Atlanta High School Youth Rally: Due to the success of the St. Oliver’s World Youth Day Rally, the Archdiocese of Atlanta has finally realized that teens need to have diocesan events. On Saturday, March 21, 2020, the first annual Archdiocese of Atlanta High School Youth Rally will be hosted at St. Oliver Plunkett! I am excited to announce that our keynote speakers will be Leah Darrow
(https://leahdarrow.com/) and David Bisono (from Brooklyn, NY). Besides the 2 keynotes, there will be a variety of workshops offered, social and service activities, recreational activities with the Atlanta Vocations Office, and much, much more! Bishop Joel Konzen will preside at our closing Mass. Put this date in your calendar and parents…we need MANY VOLUNTEERS!
PARENTS: To make this event a success for our young church, we need many parent volunteers. We have 3 shifts available, All day (8am-5pm), 8am-1pm and 1pm-5pm. Please email me if you can volunteer and what time is best for you.
TEENS: sign up and permission slip for the Rally is available on the LT Info board in the LT room. Rally cost is $15 (includes Tshirt, lunch, snacks). Permission slip and fee due by 3/1/20.
Parish Events: (Please check out the parish bulletin or view online at www.stolivers.com)
- FORMED (online religious education for all ages): Our parish has acquired a subscription to Formed and we invite all parishioners to enjoy all that Formed has to offer. It’s easy to get started: you can go to our website and click on FORMED, or go to www.formed.org, when prompted to sign up (which is necessary) click on “I am a Parish or Organization” then locate St. Oliver Plunkett Catholic Church. Once you register at Formed, you will only need to click on Sign In, there is no password required. After completing sign -up, in addition to being able to have access to a huge amount of great content, Formed also offers a daily faith message which you will receive through your email if you sign up to receive Formed Daily. We hope you will take advantage of this great Catholic website with wonderful authentic Catholic content. If you have any questions about registering for Formed, please contact Linda in the parish office. Remember, Formed has content for all.
- Ash Wednesday Mass Schedule: February 26, 2020, 6:30am, 9am, 5pm, 7pm (in English in the Kane-Beltran Center) and 7pm (in Spanish in Church)
- Men’s Club Fish Fry: Fridays during Lent, 5pm-7:30pm in the Kane-Beltran Family Center. First Fish Fry begins on Friday, 2/28/20. Come and enjoy a delicious meal. Check bulletin for menu and prices.
- Parish Lenten Penance Service: Thursday, 3/19/20 7pm in the Church
- Parish Lenten Mission: Spanish Lenten Mission-3/28 @ 7pm in church and 3/29-@ 2pm in the church. English speaking Mission: 3/29-3/31, 7pm in the church.
- Please check the church bulletin (www.stolivers.com) for activities/programs that are available for you and your family to enhance your Lenten journey.
Service: (Teens, check out the How Can I Serve Board in the Life Teen Room for service opportunities)
- Pavilion Demo: Saturday, 3/7/20, 8am-Noon. Help our parish grounds committee tear down the pavilion by the lower parking lot to make room for a new shed. Sign up on the How Can I Serve board located in the LT room.
- Night Shelter: Saturday, 3/21/20, 4:45pm-9:30pm. Space is limited , so sign up on the “How Can I Serve” board in the LT room. You will also need to complete and turn in a permission slip by Sunday, 3/15/20. You can find a permission slip at www.stoliverslifeteen.com under the forms tab or on the How Can I Serve board in the LT Room.
- Fish Frys: Life Teen volunteers every Friday during Lent for the Fish Fry. The Men’s Club generously donates half of their profit to our Life Teen program. This helps Life Teen fund scholarships for retreats and other activities for our program. Mark your calendars for the following class dates: (you can volunteer at any or all of these dates and remember…you get a free meal!)
- 2/28: 12th grade
- 3/6: 11th grade
- 3/20: 10th grade
- 3/27: 9th grade
- 4/3: all grades
- Teen Candidate/Sponsor Day of Reflection: Saturday, February, 29, 2020 8:45am-3pm REQUIRED for 1st Year Student and their Sponsor. If Sponsor cannot attend, then a parent must attend with the candidate. Teen should bring their Bible and Journal. Lunch is provided.
- Teen Candidate Class: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, in the Life Teen room. Class begins promptly at 7pm and ends at 8:30pm. Teens should check in prior to 7pm. YOU ARE REQUIRED TO BRING YOUR BIBLE, JOURNAL AND PEN TO CLASS.
- Parent Class: Wednesday, March 4, 2020 at the JP II Adult Ed Center and in Room 17/18 for our Hispanic speakers. Class begins promptly at 7pm and ends at 8:30pm.
Please note that CANDIDATE and PARENT MUST attend the FINAL CLASS on 3/18/20. This class time will be extended to 9pm. At this class, we will review the information on the Confirmation liturgy.
- Teen Candidate class: Wednesday, March 18, 2020. Class begins promptly at 7pm and ends at 9pm. (PLEASE NOTE EXTENDED CLASS TIME) Teens should check in prior to 7pm. YOU ARE REQUIRED TO BRING YOUR BIBLE, JOURNAL AND PEN TO CLASS.
- Parent Class: Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at the JP II Adult Ed Center (house next to church) and in Room 17/18 for our Hispanic speakers. Class begins promptly at 7pm and ends at 9pm. (Please note the extended class time)
- Confirmation Candidate Exit Interviews: Sunday, 3/22/20. If you did not sign up for a time, please see Lynn.
- Confirmation Candidate Penance Service: Wednesday, 4/22/20, 7pm All candidates should attend!
- CONFIRMATION LITURGY DATE: Sunday, April 26, 2020.
1st & 2nd Year:
If you did not attend the Fall retreat, please remember that you are required to attend the Spring Retreat (March 13-15, 2020). Sign up and permission slip for the retreat is available on the LT Info board located in the LT Room or at www.stoliverslifeteen.com under the forms tab. If you attended the Fall retreat you are also welcomed and encouraged to attend the Spring retreat too!
I appreciate your support of our youth and the parish! If you have any questions, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at (770)979-2500, ext. 43.
In Christ’s service,
St. Oliver Plunkett Catholic Church
770-979-2500, ext. 43