Here is your February Life Teen Update. If you have not received a copy of the Life Teen Spring semester calendar, please pick one up from the Life Teen Info board located next to the Life Teen office or from the Life Teen board in the Life Teen room.
2/2: No Life Night
2/9: “Memento Mori”
2/16: No Life Night
SOLT NIGHT: (St. Oliver Life Teen) This is a monthly Wednesday night (6:30pm-8pm) for the teens. Pizza will be provided!
1/29/20: Praise Night
2/12/20: Paint and Pray Night
Life Night Meals:
On Sunday Life Nights, we need to feed our teens dinner. This is where we need our PARENTS to help. Please note that Life Teen provides the funds for the meal! Thank you to all our Life Teen families that have fed us this semester. Our Spring semester has the following Sunday Life Night open dates:
2/9/20 (*If you can prepare our 2/9 meal, please let me know ASAP*), 2/23/20, 3/1/20, 4/19/20, 5/3/20. Please email me: email@example.com if you can prepare a meal for the teens! WE NEED YOUR HELP!!!!
Life Teen Events:
- XLT: Tuesday, February 11, 2020. Join us with other teens from the Archdiocese of Atlanta for a night of worship and a great speaker!! Permission slip required and you can find on the LT Info board or at www.stoliverslifeteen.com. Form due back to LT office by 2/9/20.
- Spring Retreat: March 13-15, 2020 at Covecrest. Our annual Spring Retreat will be here before you know it! Sign up and permission slip is now available in the Life Teen Room on the LT Info board. You can also get a permission slip from the Life Teen website: www.stoliverslifeteen.com. Cost of the retreat is $125.00 and payment due by February 9, 2020. After 2/9/20 the fee is $135.00. Please remember that we accept cash, check or credit card for payment.
- NEW!!! Archdiocese of Atlanta High School Youth Rally: Due to the success of the St. Oliver’s World Youth Day Rally, the Archdiocese of Atlanta has finally realized that teens need to have diocesan events. On Saturday, March 21, 2020, the first annual Archdiocese of Atlanta High School Youth Rally will be hosted at St. Oliver Plunkett! I am excited to announce that our keynote speakers will be Leah Darrow ( https://leahdarrow.com/) and David Bisono (from Brooklyn, NY). Besides the 2 keynotes, there will be a variety of workshops offered, social and service activities, recreational activities with the Atlanta Vocations Office, and much, much more! Bishop Joel Konzen will preside at our closing Mass. Put this date in your calendar and parents…we need MANY VOLUNTEERS!
PARENTS: To make this event a success for our young church, we need many parent volunteers. We have 3 shifts available, All day (8am-5pm), 8am-1pm and 1pm-5pm. Please email me if you can volunteer and what time is best for you.
TEENS: sign up and permission slip for the Rally is available on the LT Info board in the LT room. Rally cost is $25 (includes Tshirt, lunch, snacks). Permission slip and fee due by 3/1/20.
Parish Events: (Please check out the parish bulletin or view online at www.stolivers.com)
- FORMED (online religious education for all ages): Our parish has acquired a subscription to Formed and we invite all parishioners to enjoy all that Formed has to offer. It’s easy to get started: you can go to our website and click on FORMED, or go to www.formed.org, when prompted to sign up (which is necessary) click on “I am a Parish or Organization” then locate St. Oliver Plunkett Catholic Church. Once you register at Formed, you will only need to click on Sign In, there is no password required. After completing sign -up, in addition to being able to have access to a huge amount of great content, Formed also offers a daily faith message which you will receive through your email if you sign up to receive Formed Daily. We hope you will take advantage of this great Catholic website with wonderful authentic Catholic content. If you have any questions about registering for Formed, please contact Linda in the parish office. Remember, Formed has content for all.
- Candlemas: On the second of February, the Church celebrates the festival of the Purification of the Blessed Virgin, which may be considered as the conclusion of the series of feasts that center around the stable of Bethlehem. Christmas Day presents to us the birth of the Redeemer; the Epiphany commemorates His manifestation to the Gentiles; and the Purification reminds us of the offering of our Savior in the temple by his blessed Mother, as the Victim who should reconcile God and man. This day has been chosen by the Church for a very important ceremony, the solemn blessing of candles, whence the day is often called Candlemas. We invite you to bring candles for personal and family use to masses next weekend for a blessing. We will also offer “blessing of throats” at all masses next weekend in commemoration of the Feast of St. Blaise on Monday, February 3rd. Go to our parish website, www.stolivers.com, and click on the Candlemas picture to learn more about this feast day.
- Ash Wednesday Mass Schedule: February 26, 2020, 6:30am, 9am, 5pm, 7pm (in English in the Kane-Beltran Center) and 7pm (in Spanish in Church)
- Men’s Club Fish Fry: Fridays during Lent, 5:30pm-7:30pm in the Kane-Beltran Family Center. First Fish Fry begins on Friday, 2/28/20. Come and enjoy a delicious meal. Check bulletin for menu and prices.
Service: (Teens, check out the How Can I Serve Board in the Life Teen Room for service opportunities)
- Night Shelter: Saturday, 2/8/20, 4:45pm-9:30pm. Space is limited , so sign up on the “How Can I Serve” board in the LT room. You will also need to complete and turn in a permission slip by this Sunday, 2/2/20. You can find a permission slip at www.stoliverslifeteen.com under the forms tab or on the How Can I Serve board in the LT Room.
- St. Oliver Gala: Saturday, 2/8/20, 6pm-10pm. We are in need of teens who are interested in volunteering with serving and cleanup of the Gala meal. Black dress pants and white collared shirt are the required attire. Sign up on the “How Can I Serve” board in the Life Teen room
- Fish Frys: Life Teen volunteers every Friday during Lent for the Fish Fry. The Men’s Club generously donates half of their profit to our Life Teen program. This helps Life Teen fund scholarships for retreats and other activities for our program. Mark your calendars for the following class dates: (you can volunteer at any or all of these dates)
- 2/28: 12th grade
- 3/6: 11th grade
- 3/20: 10th grade
- 3/27: 9th grade
- 4/3: all grades
- Teen Candidate Class: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, in the Life Teen room. Class begins promptly at 7pm and ends at 8:30pm. Teens should check in prior to 7pm. YOU ARE REQUIRED TO BRING YOUR BIBLE, JOURNAL AND PEN TO CLASS.
- Parent Class: Wednesday, February 5, 2020 at the JP II Adult Ed Center and in Room 3 for our Hispanic speakers. Class begins promptly at 7pm and ends at 8:30pm.
- Teen Candidate/Sponsor Day of Reflection: Saturday, February, 29, 2020 8:45am-3pm REQUIRED for all 1st Year Student and their Sponsor. If Sponsor cannot attend, then a parent must attend with the candidate. Teen should bring their Bible and Journal. Lunch is provided.
- Teen Candidate class: Wednesday, February 19, 2020. Class begins promptly at 7pm and ends at 8:30pm. Teens should check in prior to 7pm. YOU ARE REQUIRED TO BRING YOUR BIBLE, JOURNAL AND PEN TO CLASS.
- Parent Class: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 at the JP II Adult Ed Center (house next to church) and in Room 3 (near Life Teen room) for our Hispanic speakers. Class begins promptly at 7pm and ends at 8:30pm.
- Confirmation Exit Interviews: Sunday, 3/22/20. You will sign up for an interview time during your February class.
- Confirmation Candidate Penance Service: Wednesday, 4/22/20, 7pm All candidates should attend!
- CONFIRMATION LITURGY DATE: Sunday, April 26, 2020.
1st & 2nd Year:
If you did not attend the Fall retreat, please remember that you are required to attend the Spring Retreat (March 13-15, 2020). Sign up and permission slip for the retreat is now available on the LT Info board located in the LT Room or at www.stoliverslifeteen.com under the forms tab. If you attended the Fall retreat you are also welcomed and encouraged to attend the Spring retreat too!
A special thank you to the Life Teen members and families who volunteered on January 2nd to clean and prep the Life Teen area for repair. Your assistance was invaluable!!! Thank you to all the folks who have helped to put the Life Teen room and my office back together. Please make sure you stop by to see the freshly painted walls and new carpet.
I appreciate your support of our youth and the parish! If you have any questions, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at (770)979-2500, ext. 43.
In Christ’s service,
St. Oliver Plunkett Catholic Church
770-979-2500, ext. 43