Hello LT Families,
Yes, 2020 is right around the corner…so let’s finish 2019 with a bang! Lots of info to share with you all, so please make sure you read this update!
Life Nights: Just a few Life Nights remaining for 2019.
11/17: “Lights, Camera, Action!”
11/24: No Life Night
12/1: No Life Night
12/8: “Know Your Momma!”
12/15: “Journey to Bethlehem”
12/22: No Life Night
12/29: No Life Night
Life Nights return on Sunday, 1/12/2020!
SOLT NIGHT: (St. Oliver Life Teen) This is a monthly Wednesday night for the teens.
11/13/19: 6:30pm-8pm in the Life Teen room. Pizza will be served, followed by a night of Praise & Adoration!
NO SOLT Night in December.
SOLT Nights will resume on Wednesday, 1/29/20.
Life Night Meals:
On Sunday Life Nights, we need to feed our teens dinner. This is where we need our PARENTS to help. Thank you to all our Life Teen families that have fed (or will feed us this semester). Our Spring semester has the following Sunday Life Night open dates: 1/12/20, 1/26/20, 2/23/20, 3/1/20, 3/8/20, 3/22/20, 4/19/20, 5/3/20.
Please email me: firstname.lastname@example.org if you can prepare a meal for the teens! WE NEED YOUR HELP!!!!
Life Teen Events:
- National Catholic Youth Conference (NCYC): November 21-23, 2019. Several of our teens and adults will be travelling to Indianapolis, Indiana for NCYC. We will meet with over 20,000 teens and adults while in Indy for great speakers, workshops, prayer opportunities, worship music, fellowship and conclude with a beautiful Mass at Lucas Oil Stadium.
NCYC will be offering a Live Stream of this conference for parents and teens to also experience. The 2019 NCYC theme is Blessed/Bendito + Broken/Partido + Given/Entregado. This theme is rooted in the scriptural account of Jesus meeting the two disciples on their way to Emmaus after the resurrection (Luke 24:13-35). The Live Stream schedule is
Thursday, 11/21, 7:30pm-11pm, Evening Opening Session
Friday, 11/22, 8:30am-11pm, Morning General Session, Parent Workshops, Interviews, Evening General Session
Saturday, 11/23, 8:30am-11pm, Morning General Session, Parent Workshops, Interviews, Saturday Vigil Closing Mass
This year there are 2 different ways the NCYC Live Stream can be viewed:
- Watch live with family and friends!
- Watch it on your own time. NCYC will be recording the Live Stream and will share how you can see it on demand.
To view the Live Stream, please go to ncyc.info and click on Live Stream! Please keep our St. Oliver’s teens and adults in your prayers during the event!
Also, check out St. Oliver’s Life Teen Facebook page and solifeteen on Instagram to see what we are up to during NCYC!!!!
- Spring Retreat: March 13-15, 2020 at Covecrest. Our annual Spring Retreat will be here before you know it! Sign up and permission slip is now available in the Life Teen Room on the LT Info board. You can also get a permission slip from the Life Teen website: www.stoliverslifeteen.com. Cost of the retreat is $125.00 and payment due by February 9, 2020. After 2/9/20 the fee is $135.00. Please remember that we accept cash, check or credit card for payment.
Parish Events: (Please check out the parish bulletin or view online at http://www.stolivers.com)
- Eucharistic Adoration is NOW available every Wednesday from 9:30am-8pm in the church. Reconciliation is also available every Wednesday, from 6pm-7pm (English and Spanish)
- Advent Penance Service: Tuesday, 12/3/19, 7pm in the church.
- Our Lady of Guadalupe Festivities:
- Vigil of Our Lady of Guadalupe: Wednesday, 12/11/19, 7:30pm in the church. Join us for a special rosary, dancing and hymns to honor our Blessed Mother.
- Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe: Thursday, 12/12/19, 7pm. Join us for a procession, Mass and a fiesta!
- Christmas Mass Schedule:
- Christmas Eve: 4pm Church, 4pm Family Center, 6pm Church, 8pm (Life Teen Mass) Church, 10pm Church
- Christmas Day: 10am Church, Noon (Hispanic) Church
- Solemnity of Mary, The Holy Mother of God (Holy Day of Obligation) Mass Schedule:
- Vigil Mass, 12/31, 5pm in the Church
- 1/1: 10am Church, Noon (Hispanic) Church
- St. Oliver Mardi Gras Gala: Saturday, 2/8/20—SAVE THE DATE! Check the bulletin for details!
Service: (Teens, check out the How Can I Serve Board in the Life Teen Room for service opportunities)
- Pop Tab Collection: Life Teen is collecting pop tabs for the Ronald McDonald Atlanta houses. You can drop off your donation to the Life Teen Office.
- Southeast Gwinnett Co-Op: This is the food bank that services our area community. The Co-Op is in NEED of the following: canned fruit, dishwashing liquid and shampoo. Life Teen will be collecting these items through the month of November to deliver to the Co-Op. Your donation is much appreciated! **SPECIAL COMPETITION, Sunday, 11/17 for teens. For every item (see items above) you bring in on 11/17, you will receive a raffle ticket for a special gift card!! We will draw for the prize at the end of Life Night!!!!**
- Life Teen Giving Tree: Our Life Teen group partners with the Nicholas House in Atlanta to help provide Christmas gifts for children in this shelter. (Nicholas House is an Atlanta shelter that provides housing to homeless families regardless of family makeup. Nicholas House provides temporary housing while addressing the root causes of family homelessness so a family may never be homeless again.) The Life Teen Giving Tree is up and filled with gift tags that has the name/gender/age of the child. If you are interested in participating in this activity, we ask that you take a tag from our tree, purchase a gift for the child and then return the UNWRAPPED gift in a bag with the tag. Gift should be returned to Life Teen room by 12/8/19. (Thank you to all who have already taken tags!)
- GROW (formerly Rowdy Roots): Friday, 11/15/19, 6:15pm-8:45pm, in the Family Center. Help our 3rd-5th graders enjoy a fun night.
- Parish Christmas Decorating: Saturday, 12/7/19, 10am-Noon, meet in Family Center Lobby. Help us decorate the parish grounds! Sign up in the LT Room on the How Can I Serve board.
- Christmas Festival: Sunday, 12/15/19, 8:30am-2:30pm (shifts available) Secret Santa Shop, Christmas Ornament Making, etc. Sign up in the LT Room on the How Can I Serve board.
- Church Christmas Decoration: Sunday, 12/22/19, 6pm-8pm in the Church. Help us get the Family Center and Church ready for our Christmas Masses. Sign up in the LT Room on the How Can I Serve board.
- Life Teen Christmas Eve Mass (12/24, 8pm) Liturgical Servers: If you are interested in serving as an Usher/Greeter, Altar Server, Lector or Eucharistic Minister of Holy Communion, please sign up on our How Can I Serve board in the Life Teen room!
- Night Shelter: Saturday, 1/11/20, 4:45pm-9:30pm. Life Teen begins our monthly visits to serve at the Central Night Shelter in downtown Atlanta. Space is limited, so sign up on the “How Can I Serve” board in the LT room. You will also need to complete and turn in a permission slip by this Sunday, 1/5/20. You can find a permission slip at www.stoliverslifeteen.com under the forms tab or on the How Can I Serve board in the LT Room.
- Catholic Stickers: Life Teen is offering a variety of Catholic stickers to decorate and personalize all types of items…from your laptop, water bottle, car windows, lockers, etc. Stickers are $5 each and can be purchased after Life Nights. Spread a little Catholic joy everywhere!!! Not too early to start getting a few stocking stuffers! We will be selling these stickers after Life Night on 11/17/19!!!!
- iGiveCatholic: Giving Tuesday is Tuesday, 12/3/19. Please check the bulletin or online at www.stolivers.com for details! Our parish families generosity to this campaign helps our parish in a variety of ways! Thank you for considering a donation to St. Oliver’s through iGiveCatholic!!
- 1st Year
- Teen Candidate Class: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, in the Life Teen room. Class begins promptly at 7pm and ends at 8:30pm. Teens should check in prior to 7pm.
- Parent Class: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, location of class is still being determined. Class begins promptly at 7pm and ends at 8:30pm. I will email all 1st Year families where the Parent class will be by mid December.
- Teen Candidate/Sponsor Day of Reflection: Saturday, February, 29, 2020 8:45am-3pm REQUIRED for all 1st Year Students! (This date was originally scheduled for 3/21/20, but had to be rescheduled) More info to follow!
- 2nd Year:
o Teen Candidate class: Wednesday, November 20, 2019. Class begins promptly at 7pm and ends at 8:30pm. Teens should check in prior to 7pm.
o CONFIRMATION LITURGY DATE: Sunday, April 26, 2020. Please save this date!!!!
- 1st & 2nd Year:
- If you did not attend the Fall retreat, please remember that you are required to attend the Spring Retreat (March 13-15, 2020). Sign up and permission slip for the retreat is now available on the LT Info board located in the LT Room or at www.stoliverslifeteen.com under the forms tab. If you attended the Fall retreat you are also welcomed and encouraged to attend the Spring retreat too!
Are you on Facebook? If so, please join us at St. Oliver’s Life Teen. Are you on Instagram…please join us at solifeteen. Both sites have plenty of info and photos about what is going on in Life Teen!
Thank you for taking the time to review all this info! I appreciate your support of our youth and the parish!!!
In Christ’s service,
St. Oliver Plunkett
770-979-2500, ext. 43