Hello LT Families,
Well, the weather is getting cooler, so looks like Fall has finally arrived! Lots of info to share with you all, so please make sure you read this update!
Life Nights: We have begun a 4-week Life Night series called “The Complete & Total Guide to Human Happiness (A Life Night series on Moral Living). About this series: True happiness is found in surrendering to Jesus Christ. The way of Jesus may not look the way we think it does. This series explores what it really means to live for Christ; the beatitudes, living the law of love, trusting Church authority, and forming our conscience. The following is a list of our Sunday Life Nights. I encourage our parents to ask their teens about the Life Nights. Please do not hesitate to contact me for any questions.
10/20: “We’re Waiting for You”
10/27: “New & Improved”
11/3: “Eat Your Vegetables”
11/10: “The Drive Of Your Life”
11/17: ““Lights, Camera, Action!”
11/24: No Life Night
12/1: No Life Night
SOLT NIGHT: (St. Oliver Life Teen) This is a monthly Wednesday night for the teens.
10/30/19: Teens—join us for our 1st annual Halloween Costume Party on Wednesday, 10/30/19 from 6:30pm-8pm in the Family Center! You can attend our party without wearing a costume. We will have pizza, games (and some great prizes!) and for those that decide to dress in costume…the winning costume will receive a FREE Spring 2020 retreat!
11/13/19: 6:30pm-8pm in the Life Teen room. Pizza will be served, followed by a night of Praise & Adoration!
Life Night Meals:
On Sunday Life Nights, we need to feed our teens dinner. This is where we need our PARENTS to help. Thank you to all our Life Teen families that have fed (or will feed us this semester). Our Spring semester has the following Sunday Life Night open dates: 1/12/20, 1/26/20, 2/23/20, 3/1/20, 3/8/20, 3/22/20, 4/19/20, 5/3/20. Please email me: email@example.com if you can prepare a meal for the teens! WE NEED YOUR HELP!!!!
Life Teen Events:
- XLT: Tuesday, 11/5/19, 5:30pm-9:45pm. This is Praise and Worship, a message and Eucharistic Adoration for teens in the Archdiocese of Atlanta. We carpool from St. Oliver’s, eat at Chick-fil-A, then wind up at All Saints Catholic Church in Dunwoody for this event. NO FEE, just pay for your own meal! Sign up and permission slip can be found on the Life Teen Info board in the Life Teen room or at www.stoliverslifeteen.com under the forms tab.
- Eucharistic Adoration is NOW available every Wednesday from 9:30am-8pm in the church. Reconciliation is also available every Wednesday, from 6pm-7pm (English and Spanish)
- Trunk or Treat: Decorate your car and pass out goodies for our annual Trunk or Treat. We start with the All Saints Vigil Mass @ 5pm, Hot Dog meal follows in the Family Center, then Trunk or Treat from 6:30pm-7:30pm in the lower parking lot by the Life Teen entrance. You must RSVP by 10/24 that you will be participating at firstname.lastname@example.org. We need lots of cars to help pass out candy to the trick or treaters. Please help Life Teen make this event a success!
- All Saints Day (11/1) Masses (Holy Day of Obligation): 10/31 @ 5pm, 11/1 @ 9am and 7pm (bi-lingual)
- All Souls Commemorative Liturgy: Saturday, 11/2/19 at the 5pm Vigil Mass
- Patriotic Rosary: Friday, 11/8/19 at 7pm in the church. Join our parish for a Holy Hour, Prayer, Music and a Patriotic Rosary
Service: (Teens, check out the How Can I Serve Board in the Life Teen Room for service opportunities)
- Pop Tab Collection: Life Teen is collecting pop tabs for the Ronald McDonald Atlanta houses. You can drop off your donation to the Life Teen Office.
- Southeast Gwinnett Co-Op: This is the food bank that services our area community. The Co-Op is in NEED of the following: canned fruit, dishwashing liquid and shampoo. Life Teen will be collecting these items through the month of November to deliver to the Co-Op. Your donation is much appreciated!
- Life Teen Giving Tree: Our Life Teen group partners with the Nicholas House in Atlanta to help provide Christmas gifts for children in this shelter. (Nicholas House is an Atlanta shelter that provides housing to homeless families regardless of family makeup. Nicholas House provides temporary housing while addressing the root causes of family homelessness so a family may never be homeless again.) The Life Teen Giving Tree will be up in early November with gift tags that has the name/gender/age of the child. If you are interested in participating in this activity, we ask that you take a tag from our tree, purchase a gift for the child and then return the UNWRAPPED gift in a bag with the tag. Gift should be returned to Life Teen room by 12/8/19.
- Trunk or Treat: Life Teen is sponsoring St. Oliver’s Trunk or Treat on Thursday, 10/31/19, 5pm-8pm. If you are interested in helping (teens & adults) please sign up on the “How Can I Serve” board in the Life Teen room. We will need help with preparing and serving a hot dog meal, set up and clean up for Trunk or Treat and traffic control.
- Helping Hands: Saturday, 11/2/19, 8:45am-Noon. Help us prepare 10,000 meals for Burkina Faso, Africa! An awesome opportunity to help those who are in need! Great family service opportunity too! Sign up on the “How Can I Serve” board in the Life Teen room. Check out this link for more info on Helping Hands: https://helpinghands.crs.org/
- Night Shelter: Saturday, 11/2/19, 4:45pm-9:30pm. Life Teen begins our monthly visits to serve at the Central Night Shelter in downtown Atlanta. Space is limited, so sign up on the “How Can I Serve” board in the LT room. You will also need to complete and turn in a permission slip by this Sunday, 10/27/19! You can find a permission slip at www.stoliverslifeteen.com under the forms tab.
- GROW (formerly Rowdy Roots): Friday, 11/15/19, 6:15pm-8:45pm, in the Family Center. Help our 3rd-5th graders enjoy a fun night. Sign up on the “How Can I Serve” board in the LT room.
- Christmas Wreaths: Life Teen is currently accepting orders for beautiful 22” Noble Fir Wreaths (yes, they are LIVE and smell like Christmas!) till October 27, 2019. The cost of a wreath is $25 and delivery will be the first week in December. Order form can be found on the Life Teen Info board located outside the LT office or at www.stoliverslifeteen.com under the forms tab. **Life Teen families that took a Wreath packet to sell wreaths as a fundraiser—-your packet with orders/payment is due on SUNDAY, 10/27/19!**
- Catholic Stickers: Life Teen is offering a variety of Catholic stickers to decorate and personalize all types of items…from your laptop, water bottle, car windows, lockers, etc. Stickers are $5 each and can be purchased after Life Nights. Spread a little Catholic joy everywhere!!! Not too early to start getting a few stocking stuffers!
- 1st Year
- Teen Candidate Class: Wednesday, November 6, 2019. Class begins promptly at 7pm and ends at 8:30pm. Teens should check in prior to 7pm.
- Teen Candidate/Sponsor Day of Reflection: Saturday, February, 29, 2020 8:45am-3pm REQUIRED for all 1st Year Students! (This date was originally scheduled for 3/21/20, but had to be rescheduled) More info to follow!
- 2nd Year:
o Teen Candidate class: Wednesday, November 20, 2019. Class begins promptly at 7pm and ends at 8:30pm. Teens should check in prior to 7pm.
o CONFIRMATION LITURGY DATE: Sunday, April 26, 2020. Please save this date!!!!
- 1st & 2nd Year:
- If you did not attend the Fall retreat, please remember that you are required to attend the Spring Retreat (March 13-15, 2020). Sign up and permission slip for the retreat will be available on the LT Info board located in the LT Room or at www.stoliverslifeteen.com under the forms tab. If you attended the Fall retreat you are also welcomed and encouraged to attend the Spring retreat too!
Are you on Facebook? If so, please join us at St. Oliver’s Life Teen. Are you on Instagram…please join us at solifeteen. Both sites have plenty of info and photos about what is going on in Life Teen!
Thank you for taking the time to review all this info! I appreciate your support of our youth and the parish!!!
In Christ’s service,
St. Oliver Plunkett
770-979-2500, ext. 43