Hello LT Families,
Life Teen is back! Welcome to our returning and new families. I send out a Life Teen update once a month, but am sending this one early for September, so everyone is aware of what is going on in Life Teen. Please take a few minutes to review this update.
Life Nights: Below is a list of our Sunday Life Nights. I encourage our parents to ask their teens about the Life Nights. Please do not hesitate to contact me for any questions.
8/18: “Aloha Water Wars”- Teens…bring a change of clothes and a towel!
8/25: “I Mustache You a Question”
9/1: NO LN-Happy Labor Day
9/8: “Who Are You?”
9/15: “Elephant On My Chest”
9/22: “Your Serve”
9/25: “Play It Safe”
Life Night Meals:
On Sunday Life Nights, we need to feed our teens dinner. This is where we need our PARENTS to help. Thank you to the families that signed up at the Round Up, but we still have many open dates for this semester. Here is what you need to know:
- St. Oliver’s will provide the funds ($175.00) for the meal
- You will need to prepare the meal for approx 125+ people
- Meal can be prepared in the church kitchen if needed (contact Lynn if you need to use the church kitchen), and is served buffet style in Room 6 (adjacent to the LT room)
- Meal must be ready by 6pm
- St. Oliver’s provides paper products, utensils and soda
- After meal is served, you are responsible for the clean up of Room 6
- You must turn in your receipts to Lynn Ory on Sunday evening of your meal.
- Teens will eat almost anything…but NO NUTS. We have several peanut allergies!
- Meal Ideas: Hot Dogs/Chips, Baked Potato Bar, Pasta, Nachos, Sloppy Joes, etc.
Here are our OPEN dates: 9/22, 10/20, 10/27, 11/3, 11/10, 11/17. Please email me: email@example.com if you can prepare a meal for the teens! WE NEED YOUR HELP!!!!
Life Teen Events:
- Fall Retreat: October 4-6, 2019 @ Covecrest in Tiger, GA. Sign Up and Permission Slip can be found in the Life Teen room. Permission slip and fee ($125) are due by 9/8/19. Fee can be paid by check, cash or credit card. If you need to make a payment plan, please contact me.
- Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Holy Day of Obligation): Vigil Mass, Wednesday, August 14, 2019 @ 7pm, Thursday, August 15th @9am and 7pm (Bilingual Mass) The parish is having a special collection of new school supplies for the SE Gwinnett Co-Op at the Vigil Mass. Please bring donations!!
- St. Oliver Plunkett Ministry Fair: Following all Masses 8/17-8/18, please visit the Kane-Beltran Family Center to check out all the ministries that your parish offers you! We want to continue to grow and evolve as a community serving God and our neighbor. Please join us as we Engage. Serve. Grow!
- Adult Education: Our Catholic Church encourages are parents to be leaders of the faith to their children. St. Oliver’s offers our parents opportunities to help YOU grow in your faith. Please check the bulletin (www.stolivers.com) for ongoing faith formation. Here are a few upcoming opportunities:
- Beholding His Glory (Women’s Bible Study): 2-9 week sessions. Check the bulletin for all the details.
- Recovering from Divorce: 13 week program to help recover from the emotional and spiritual trauma of divorce. Check bulletin for additional info.
- Financial Peace University: We all need a plan for our money! Check the bulletin for all the details.
Service: (Teens, check out the How Can I Serve Board in the Life Teen Room for service opportunities)
- Pop Tab Collection: Life Teen is collecting pop tabs for the Ronald McDonald Atlanta houses. You can drop off your donation to the Life Teen Office.
- GROW (formerly Rowdy Roots): Friday, 9/27/19, 6:15pm-845pm, in the Family Center. Help our 3rd-5th graders enjoy a fun night. Sign up on the “How Can I Serve” board in the LT room.
- 2019-2020 FUNDRAISER INFORMATION
- St. Oliver’s provides fundraising opportunities for the teens in our Life Teen program.
- Participation in Life Teen fundraisers is optional.
- All proceeds from Life Teen fundraisers benefit the St. Oliver Life Teen program and teens who participate in the fundraiser.
- Teens who participate in a St. Oliver fundraiser will receive a “benefit” from the fundraiser to be logged in the teen’s account.
- Teens can use the benefit to reduce the expense of a St. Oliver Life Teen retreat/conference.
- Please check with the Life Teen office for upcoming Fundraiser opportunities.
- If you would like to be on the Life Teen fundraising committee or have a fundraising idea, please contact Lynn, Life Teen Youth Minister, via email firstname.lastname@example.org or at 770-978-6751, ext. 43.
- Christmas Wreath Fundraiser will begin September 29th. If you are interested in participating, please sign up on the Life Teen Info board in the Life Teen room.
- Mellow Mushroom Life Teen Fundraiser: Tuesday, October 1st! Parents…a NO COOK night. Help us raise funds for our Life Teen program by eating at Mellow Mushroom in Snellville. Great food, raffles and lots of fun! More info to follow.
- I am looking for gift cards/services for Life Teen to raffle at this fundraiser. If you can donate gift cards/items/services that we can raffle during dinner time at Mellow Mushroom it will be appreciated! Just let me know if you have something to donate!!!
- 1st Year
- PARENT Meeting: Wednesday, August 21, 2019. English speaking Parent meeting is at 6:30pm in the Life Teen room and at 8pm for Hispanic speaking Parents in the Life Teen room. This was originally advertised in the church bulletin as a Parent & Teen meeting, but has been changed to a PARENT ONLY meeting.
- Teen Candidate Class: Wednesday, September 4, 2019. Class begins promptly at 7pm…teens should check in prior to 7pm!. This 1st class is has an extended class time till 9pm. In addition to the first class, we will review all the 1st Year Candidate requirements.
- 2nd Year:
- Teen Candidate class: Wednesday, September 18, 2019. Class begins promptly at 7pm…teens should check in prior to 7pm! EXTENDED CLASS TIME TILL 9PM. In addition to the first class, we will review all the 2nd Year Candidate requirements.
- CONFIRMATION LITURGY DATE: Sunday, April 26, 2020. Please save this date!!!!
St. Oliver Plunkett Life Teen uses various ways to communicate to our Life Teen families and students. Here is a list of our tools:
- Email: Monthly Life Teen update (like the one you are reading now!) Also send reminders to Year 1 and Year 2 Confirmation Candidates and weekly liturgical servers.
- Website: www.stoliverslifeteen.com. This website is updated frequently with information. You can also print out forms, permission slips, etc
- Bulletin: you can find the Life Teen monthly calendar and Confirmation info.
- Facebook: Join us at St. Oliver’s Life Teen. This is a CLOSED group for current Life Teen members and parents. You can find a variety of info on this site from meditations, prayer requests, photos, weekly liturgical server list, etc. Core Members are not able to be “friends” on Facebook with any teens from St. Oliver Plunkett (except teen family members).
- Instagram: Join us at solifeteen. This is a CLOSED group for Life Teen members and parents. You will find reminders, photos, insta-stories, etc.
- GroupMe: Various groups of teens (Seniors, Life Night Teams, etc) may start a GroupMe to notify their “group” of meeting times, and other info.
Thank you for taking the time to review all this info! (The next update should not be this long!)
I appreciate your support of our youth and the parish!!!
In Christ’s service,
St. Oliver Plunkett
770-979-2500, ext. 43