Happy New Year Life Teen families!
I hope that you are enjoying the Christmas season and looking forward to 2019. Sending this update to get you all back in the swing of things!
January: 13, 20
February: 10, 17, 24
March: 10, 17, 24
April: 14, 28
Life Teen Events: (permission slips can be accessed online at www.stoliverslifeteen.com or pick up in the Life Teen room) This is stuff to put on your radar!!
- XLT: Tuesday, 1/8/19 Join us as we hear inspiring words from Father Mike Schmitz. Permission slip due 1/6/19.
- Life Night Training: Friday, 1/11/19 6pm-9:30pm Interested in helping to with Life Nights? Well, we are here to help you know what to do. Dinner provided!!
- World Youth Day Rally: Saturday, 1/26/19 Join teens from the Archdiocese of Atlanta as we worship, hear great speakers, participate in service activities and have fun! Permission slip and $25 due by 1/13/19. THIS IS A REQUIREMENT FOR 1st AND 2nd YEAR CONFIRMATION STUDENTS.
- Steubenville Atlanta: *Summer activity* July 12-14, 2019 Looking for something to help you grow in your faith. Then attend Steubenville Atlanta with about 3000 of your closest friends! Commitment form and $50 deposit due on 1/13/19.
- Spring Retreat: March 1-3, 2019 Need to recharge your battery? Join us for our getaway to the North Georgia Mountains. Permission slip and fee due on 1/20/19.
- Mission:Possible: June 2-6, 2019 Our weeklong service to the metro Atlanta community. Sign up on the Life Teen Info board. More info to follow!
- Homework Hangout: Boulder Creek Coffeehouse in Lawrenceville, 6pm (check the Life Teen calendar for various dates January- May)
Service: (this is what is currently available)
- Rowdy Roots: Friday, 1/18/19 6:45pm-9:15pm Family Center
- Night Shelter: Saturday, 2/16/19 Sign up and permission slip required (find on service board in LT room)
- *NEW and a semester long project*
Pop Tab Service Project- The Religious Education department will be participating in a Pop Tab Challenge for the Atlanta Ronald McDonald House Charities this semester! Each grade, PK-12th, will compete to see who can bring in the most pop-tabs (the metal at the top of cans of soft drinks.) Prizes will be awarded to the winning grade at the end of April. Donations can be brought to the RE office in plastic bags with the labeled grade written on it or brought to class for teachers to collect. We also need clean GALLON SIZE MILK JUGS throughout this contest for measuring and storage. You can drop them by the RE office (outside or inside) or bring them to class as well. To read about this project, please visit https://armhc.org/pop-tab-program/
Parent Volunteer Opportunities:
We NEED HELP (this means Parent volunteers) to assist in forming the young church! Help comes in many ways, from driving youth to an event, chaperoning an event, helping out at a Life Night or with our Mission week, etc. Your church family is in NEED. If you are interested in helping, you must be background screened (which you can do online) and attend a workshop below. Please read the info on how you can be a screened volunteer:
- Email me: firstname.lastname@example.org that you would like to be background screened as a volunteer working with youth.
- Sign up and attend: VIRTUS Training: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 9am-12pm, Adult Education House. Our parish offers many opportunities to work with the young church. In fact, we NEED adults to help teach, mentor, chaperone, and transport our youth. The Archdiocese does require a background screening and a special workshop, called VIRTUS. The screening can be done online and takes just a few minutes. The workshop is a 3-hour commitment and provides you with important and necessary information on working with youth and vulnerable adults. If you are interested in working with our young children, middle schoolers or teens, now or in the future, please prayerfully consider taking the class this Saturday. It is not usually offered at our parish so this is a perfect time to attend and be ready to serve at your convenience. Sign up at Virtus.org, or contact me for further into. OUR CHILDREN AND PARISH NEED YOU!
- World Youth Day Rally:(NEED PARENT VOLUNTEERS) Oliver’s will be hosting a World Youth Day Rally for Life Teen in the Archdiocese of Atlanta on January 26, 2019 and we are hoping to have 500 teens in attendance. With that number, we are asking for parent volunteers to help with set up a few days before the event, during the event and clean up after the event. We will be doing setup on Thursday, (1/24), Friday, January 25th (all day) and also need help on Saturday of the event. If you are interested in helping, please contact me at email@example.com.
- All Confirmation Candidates are REQUIRED to attend the World Youth Day Rally on 1/26/19 as part of their Confirmation preparation. Please make sure you sign up and get a permission slip. Permission slip and $25 fee are due on 1/13/19.
- FIATs: 2 of your 3 FIATs are due by your January class. Do not delay in completing your service. Need ideas on what to do…check out the How Can I Serve board in the Life Teen room
- 1st Year:
- Teen and PARENT class: Wednesday, January 9, 2019. Class begins promptly at 7pm. Teens meet in Life Teen room, Parents meet in the Church.
- Teen/Sponsor Day of Reflection: Saturday, March 16, 2019, 9am-3pm.
- 2nd Year:
- Teen and PARENT class: Wednesday, January 16, 2019. Class begins promptly at 7pm. Teens meet in Life Teen room, Parents meet in the Church.
Looking forward to a great 2019 and seeing you all soon!