Hello LT Families,
We have concluded our Life Teen semester for 2018…it sure went by in a flash! Below is some upcoming info that you might want to put in your shiny 2019 calendar!! (January 2019-July 2019 calendar is available for pick up on the bulletin board located outside the Life Teen office and on the LT Info board in the Life Teen room.)
1/13/19: Life Night Returns!
Life Night Meals:
Life Teen is looking for families to volunteer to prepare our Sunday Life Night meal on the following dates: 2/24/19, 4/14/19 and 4/28/19. We give you the $$$ for the meal, plus all our handy tips to feed the teens! Please consider volunteering to prepare a meal and thank you to all that have fed us this semester and will be feeding us in 2019! Please email me with the date you would like to volunteer for—remember you can “buddy” with another family!!!
Life Teen Events:
XLT: Tuesday, January 8, 2019, 5:30pm-9:30pm. What is XLT? XLT Atlanta is a gathering for people of all ages who want to see, know, and love God. We come together to celebrate God’s love for us, and then are inspired to go out and share that love. The speaker for the January XLT is Father Mike Schmitz. Father Mike is an awesome speaker, and many may know him from his videos for Ascension Press and the “Chosen” Confirmation program. Click on this site to get more info about Father Mike. https://bulldogcatholic.org/about-contact-us/about-fr-mike-schmitz/
Teens, if you are interested in attending the 1/8/19 XLT, please sign up and get a permission slip. This event is NO CHARGE, but we do stop for a fast food meal! Permission slip located on the LT Info board in the LT room or you can find one at www.stoliverslifeteen.com under the FORMS tab.
Life Night Training: Friday, January 11, 2019, 6pm-9:30pm. Teens, I want to remind you that is your youth group…so I am calling all teens that are interested in leading or helping with a Life Night to join us for this workshop. A delicious dinner will be provided and training to help you help us learn and grow in our faith. A sign up is available in the Life Teen room or email me that you will be attending!
World Youth Day: Saturday, January 26, 2019, 9:30am-7pm. Every 3 years, our Pope calls for the young church to gather from all over the world. In 2019, the youth will be gathering in Panama City, Panama. Since that is quite a distance, St. Oliver’s will be hosting a World Youth Day Rally for over 500 teens in our Archdiocese. This Rally will include 2 national speakers, great praise and worship, Adoration with Bishop Ned Schlesinger, and other various fun and entertaining activities concluding with a closing Mass with several of our priests from the Archdiocese. A sign up and permission slip are NOW available in the Life Teen room. Cost for the event is $25 and includes registration fee, lunch, snacks and of course an awesome World Youth Day Rally tshirt. You don’t want to miss this incredible, once in every 3 years event!!!! Permission slip and $25 due by 12/31/18. Permission slip located on the LT Info board in the LT room or you can find one at www.stoliverslifeteen.com under the FORMS tab.
Spring Retreat: March 1-3, 2019 @ Covecrest in Tiger, GA. Sign up and permission slip now available. Don’t delay…permission slip and fee due on 1/20/19!! Permission slip located on the LT Info board in the LT room or you can find one at www.stoliverslifeteen.com under the FORMS tab.
Mission:Possible: June 2-6, 2019. Mark you calendars for this week of service to our community!!! More info to come!
Steubenville Atlanta: July 12-14, 2019. Steubenville Atlanta is an amazing event put on every year by Franciscan University of Steubenville and Life Teen. This conference is full of worship, Sacraments, community, and prayer. This conference will bring thousands of teens across the nation together to journey alongside one another towards Christ. Sign up NOW available in the Life Teen room. Due to limited spots available, a deposit of $50 is due by Sunday, January 13, 2019. Cost of this weekend opportunity will be $225. Fee includes: Registration fee, all meals (Friday dinner through Sunday lunch), transportation and lodging. This event is held in Gwinnett County at the Infinite Energy Center with many incredible speakers, including Mark Hart from Life Teen!!!! An info flyer will be available in the next couple of weeks with detailed information!!!
- Christmas Mass Schedule:
- December 24th: 4pm (Church & Family Center), 6pm (Church), 8pm (LIFE TEEN MASS, CHURCH)
- December 25th: Midnight (Church), 10am (Church), Noon (Hispanic Mass, Church)
- VIRTUS Training: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 9am-12pm, Family Center. Our parish offers many opportunities to work with the young church. In fact, we NEED adults to help teach, mentor, chaperone, transport, our youth. St. Oliver’s will provide you with all the necessary training/tools to help you with our parish youth. The Archdiocese does require a background screening and a special workshop, called VIRTUS. The screening can be done online and takes just a few minutes. The workshop is a 3-hour commitment and provides you with important and necessary information on working with youth and vulnerable adults. If you are interested in working with our young children and teens, please contact me. I can set you up to begin the background screening and get you registered for the 1/12/19 class. I know you are saying…wow, a 3-hour class, I don’t have time for that? I am asking you to say, wow, a 3-hour class to help me with our young church and lead them closer to Christ. OUR YOUTH AND PARISH NEED YOU!
- World Youth Day Rally: (NEED PARENT VOLUNTEERS) St. Oliver’s will be hosting a World Youth Day Rally for teens in the Archdiocese of Atlanta on January 26, 2019. We are hoping to have 500 teens in attendance. With that number of teens, it will require a lot of parent volunteers. We will need help with set up a few days before the event, during the event and clean up after the event. If you can volunteer during the day, please email me. I am hoping that many of our Life Teen parents can volunteer for a few hours during the day to help make this event a success for the young church.
- Christmas Decorating: Friday, 12/21/18 10am-12pm. Help us get the church ready for Christmas! Check in with Patty Kratzer in the Family Center lobby.
- Rowdy Roots: The 12/21 Rowdy Roots event is CANCELLED! The next Rowdy Roots event will be on 1/18/19.
- All Confirmation Candidates are REQUIRED to attend the World Youth Day Rally on 1/26/19 as part of their Confirmation preparation. Please make sure you sign up and get a permission slip. Permission slip and $25 fee are due on 12/31/18.
- FIATs: 2 of your 3 FIATs are due by your January class. Do not delay in completing your service. Need ideas on what to do…check out the How Can I Serve board in the Life Teen room
- 1st Year:
- Teen and PARENT class: Wednesday, January 9, 2019. Class begins promptly at 7pm. Teens meet in Life Teen room, Parents meet in the Church.
- Teen/Sponsor Day of Reflection: Saturday, March 16, 2019, 9am-3pm.
- 2nd Year:
- Teen and PARENT class: Wednesday, January 16, 2019. Class begins promptly at 7pm. Teens meet in Life Teen room, Parents meet in the Church.
Thank you for taking the time to review all this info! We appreciate your support of our youth and the parish!!!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!