Hello LT Families,
Wow, the end of 2018 is in sight and I am sure I’m not the only one who thinks that the year flew by!! Lots going on and lots of info for December, plus some dates that you will want to put in your calendar. The January 2019-July 2019 calendar will be distributed to the teens on 12/9/18. Please take a few minutes to review this important info!
Life Nights: We are closing out our series, “One”. This series has been very helpful in helping us understand what the Church means when she says she is pro-life; specifically discussing inherent human dignity, euthanasia, death penalty, abortion, immigration, refugees and the poor. Our teens who have been leading our nights have done an incredible job!!! I encourage our families to talk about the Life Nights and see if anyone has any additional questions. Please do not hesitate to contact me for any questions.
12/2: “One Home”
12/9: “One Moment”
Life Night Meals:
Life Teen is looking for families to volunteer to prepare our Sunday Life Night meal on the following dates: 2/17/19, 2/24/19, 3/24/19, 4/14/19 and 4/28/19. We give you the $$$ for the meal, plus all our handy tips to feed the teens! Please consider volunteering to prepare a meal and thank you to all that have fed us this semester and will be feeding us in 2019! Please email me with the date you would like to volunteer for—remember you can “buddy” with another family!!!
Life Teen Events:
- XLT: Tuesday, January 8, 2019, 5:30pm-9:30pm. What is XLT? XLT Atlanta is a gathering for people of all ages who want to see, know, and love God. We come together to celebrate God’s love for us, and then are inspired to go out and share that love. The speaker for the January XLT is Father Mike Schmitz. Father Mike is an awesome speaker, and many may know him from his videos for Ascension Press and the “Chosen” Confirmation program.
Teens, if you are interested in attending the 1/8/19 XLT, please sign up and get a permission slip. This event is NO CHARGE, but we do stop for a fast food meal!
- Life Night Training: Friday, January 11, 2019, 6pm-9:30pm. Teens, I want to remind you that is your youth group…so I am calling all teens that are interested in leading or helping with a Life Night to join us for this workshop. A delicious dinner will be provided and training to help you help us learn and grow in our faith. A sign up is available in the Life Teen room
- World Youth Day: Saturday, January 26, 2019, 9:30am-7pm. Every 3 years, our Pope calls for the young church to gather from all over the world. In 2019, the youth will be gathering in Panama City, Panama. Since that is quite a distance, St. Oliver’s will be hosting a World Youth Day Rally for over 500 teens in our Archdiocese. This Rally will include 2 national speakers, great praise and worship, Adoration with Bishop Ned Schlesinger, and other various fun and entertaining activities concluding with a closing Mass with several of our priests from the Archdiocese. A sign up and permission slip are NOW available in the Life Teen room. Cost for the event is $25 and includes registration fee, lunch, snacks and of course an awesome World Youth Day Rally tshirt. You don’t want to miss this incredible, once in every 3 years event!!!! Permission slip and $25 due by 12/31/18.
- Spring Retreat: March 1-3, 2019 @ Covecrest in Tiger, GA. Sign up and permission slip now available. Don’t delay…permission slip and fee due on 1/20/19!!
- Mission:Possible: June 2-6, 2019. Mark you calendars for this week of service to our community!!! More info to come!
- Steubenville Atlanta: July 12-14, 2019. Steubenville Atlanta is an amazing event put on every year by Franciscan University of Steubenville and Life Teen. This conference is full of worship, Sacraments, community, and prayer. This conference will bring thousands of teens across the nation together to journey alongside one another towards Christ. Sign up NOW available in the Life Teen room. Due to limited spots available, a deposit of $50 is due by Sunday, January 13, 2019. Cost of this weekend opportunity will be $225. Fee includes: Registration fee, all meals (Friday dinner through Sunday lunch), transportation and lodging. This event is held in Gwinnett County at the Infinite Energy Center with many incredible speakers, including Mark Hart from Life Teen!!!! An info flyer will be available in the next couple of weeks with detailed information!!!
- Christmas Family Festival: Sunday, December 9th, 9am-1pm, Family Center
- Breakfast with Santa
- Pictures with Santa
- Secret Santa Shop for Kids
- Ornament Making
- Advent Penance Service: Monday, December 10th, 7pm, Church
- Our Lady of Guadalupe events:
- Tuesday, December 11th: Rosary & Meditation, Singing & Dancing to the Blessed Mother in Church at 7:30pm, followed by Hot Chocolate & Sweet Rolls in the Family Center
- Wednesday, December 12th: Procession to Church @ 7pm, Mass @ 7:30pm, followed by a Fiesta with Mariachis!!
- Christmas Pageant & Concert: Friday, December 14th 7pm Church
- Christmas Mass Schedule:
- December 24th: 4pm (Church & Family Center), 6pm (Church), 8pm (LIFE TEEN MASS, CHURCH), Midnight (Church)
- December 25th: 10am (Church), Noon (Hispanic Mass, Church)
- Adult Education: Our Catholic Church encourages are parents to be leaders of the faith to their children. St. Oliver’s offers our parents opportunities to help YOU grow in your faith. On 12/6/18 from 7pm-8:30pm at the Adult Ed Center. St. Oliver’s will be offering “Ignatian Spiritually and Prayer Forms”.
After a brief review of the key events and spiritual milestones in the life of St. Ignatius of Loyola, Deacon Randy will describe The Spiritual Exercises, the foundation of Ignatian Spirituality. A discussion around Ignatian Prayer Forms and the ways in which Ignatian Spirituality can be woven into our daily lives will also be included. This class is also available on 12/7/18 from 9:45am-11:15am at the Adult Ed Center. Teens are invited to attend too.
- VIRTUS Training: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 9am-12pm, Family Center. Our parish offers many opportunities to work with the young church. In fact, we NEED adults to help teach, mentor, chaperone, transport, our youth. St. Oliver’s will provide you with all the necessary training/tools to help you with our parish youth. The Archdiocese does require a background screening and a special workshop, called VIRTUS. The screening can be done online and takes just a few minutes. The workshop is a 3-hour commitment and provides you with important and necessary information on working with youth and vulnerable adults. If you are interested in working with our young children and teens, please contact me. I can set you up to begin the background screening and get you registered for the 1/12/19 class. I know you are saying…wow, a 3-hour class, I don’t have time for that? I am asking you to say, wow, a 3-hour class to help me with our young church and lead them closer to Christ. OUR YOUTH AND PARISH NEED YOU!
- World Youth Day Rally: (NEED PARENT VOLUNTEERS) St. Oliver’s will be hosting a World Youth Day Rally for teens in the Archdiocese of Atlanta on January 26, 2019. We are hoping to have 500 teens in attendance. With that number of teens, it will require a lot of parent volunteers. We will need help with set up a few days before the event, during the event and clean up after the event. I will be sending out volunteer info by mid-December and am hoping that many of our Life Teen parents can volunteer to help make this event a success for the young church.
- Life Teen Giving Tree: Our Life Teen Christmas Tree is up in the Life Teen room. Our tree still has some tags bearing the name of a child (infant-18 years old) who currently are living in a shelter. We are asking our LT families to take a tag or two and purchase a gift for the child on the tag. The gift does not have to be wrapped, just return your gift with the tag attached!! Gifts should be returned to the LT office by 12/9.
- Christmas Festival: Sunday, 12/9/18 Looking for teens to help at our annual Christmas festival. Help the kids from our parish visit our Secret Santa Shop, decorate Christmas Cookies, read Christmas stories, sing carols and much more. Sign up in the Life Teen room on our “How Can I Serve” bulletin board. Various shifts available!!!
- Soups and Dips fundraiser: Orders are due on Sunday, December 2nd. Once delivery of soups/dips has been received, an email will be sent out with pick up information.
- Wreath Fundraiser: Wreaths are in transit and should be here by Tuesday. Once we have processed the wreaths, an email will be sent out to the teens who took orders with pick up information.
Opportunities are available to our parish families to help our parish fund some needed items/activities for the parish.
- iGive Catholic:
On Tuesday, November 27, 2018 Catholics have an opportunity to celebrate Catholic giving. On this nationwide online giving day, you can make a gift to participating parishes, schools, ministries and non-profits. Please visit www.igivecatholic.org and click on the Archdiocese of Atlanta and locate St. Oliver Plunkett Catholic Church or if you are already sign up for online giving you can make a donation from there, as well. Make a gift to support St. Oliver’s for as little as $25.
What is AmazonSmile? AmazonSmile is a website operated by Amazon that lets customers enjoy the same wide selection of products, low prices, and convenient shopping features as on Amazon.com. The difference is that when customers shop on AmazonSmile (smile.amazon.com), the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the price of eligible purchases to the charitable organizations selected by customers.
How does AmazonSmile work? When first visiting AmazonSmile, customers are prompted to select a charitable organization from over one million eligible organizations (select St. Oliver Plunkett Catholic Church). In order to browse or shop at AmazonSmile, customers must first select a charitable organization. For eligible purchases at AmazonSmile, the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price to the customer’s selected charitable organization.
- All Confirmation Candidates are REQUIRED to attend the World Youth Day Rally on 1/26/19 as part of their Confirmation preparation. Please make sure you sign up and get a permission slip. Permission slip and $25 fee are due on 12/31/18.
- FIATs: 2 of your 3 FIATs are due by your January class. Do not delay in completing your service. Need ideas on what to do…check out the How Can I Serve board in the Life Teen room
- 1st Year:
- Teen and PARENT class: Wednesday, January 9, 2019. Class begins promptly at 7pm. Teens meet in Life Teen room, Parents meet in the Church.
- Teen/Sponsor Day of Reflection: Saturday, March 16, 2019, 9am-3pm.
- 2nd Year:
- Teen and PARENT class: Wednesday, January 16, 2019. Class begins promptly at 7pm. Teens meet in Life Teen room, Parents meet in the Church.
Thank you for taking the time to review all this info! We appreciate your support of our youth and the parish!!!
Have a most blessed Advent.