Hello LT Families,
Lots going on and lots of info to send out to you in mid-November. Please take a few minutes to review this important info!
We began a new Life Teen series in November. Our series is called “One”. This series focuses on an authentic pro-life lifestyle that goes beyond babies and requires the faithful to make one consistent choice to recognize the inherent dignity of all people, and treat all people, no matter the circumstance, as people. This Life Night series unpacks what the Catholic Church means when she says she is pro-life; specifically discussing inherent human dignity, euthanasia, the death penalty, abortion, immigration, refugees, and the poor.
Last night, our evening was called “One Heart”. The goal of “One Heart” was to help the teens understand about the dangers and dehumanizing qualities of euthanasia, the death penalty, and abortion, actions that stop the human heart. 3 of our teen leaders led a great teaching on the subject and then we had a panel of clergy and members of the St. Oliver Plunkett Respect Life Community available for a Q&A session.
We encourage our families to ask their teens about the Life Night and see if there may be any more questions. Please do not hesitate to contact the Life Teen office for any questions.
Life Night Meals:
Life Teen is looking for families to volunteer to prepare our Sunday Life Night meal on the following dates: 12/16/18, 1/13/19, 2/17/19, 2/24/19, 3/10/19, 3/24/19, 4/14/19 and 4/28/19. We give you the $$$ for the meal, plus all our handy tips to feed the teens! Please consider volunteering to prepare a meal and thank you to all that have fed us this semester! Please email me with the date you would like to volunteer for—remember you can “buddy” with another family!!!
Adult Education: Our Catholic Church encourages are parents to be leaders of the faith to their children. St. Oliver’s offers our parents opportunities to help YOU grow in your faith. With the Advent season quickly approaching, please consider attending “Bringing Advent Alive in Your Home” on Thursday, November 15th from 7pm-8:30pm in the Life Teen room. The goal of this session is to help parents recapture Advent as a time for mindful preparation and joyful hope, anticipating the light of Christ. We will share Catholic Advent traditions with practical, hands on ideas for every stage of life; single or family, young children, teens and empty nesters. There is a nursery available for younger children. (Teens are also invited to attend!)
- Life Teen Giving Tree: Our Life Teen Christmas Tree is up in the Life Teen room. Our tree is covered with tags bearing the name of a child (infant-18 years old) who currently are living in a shelter. We are asking our LT families to take a tag or two and purchase a gift for the child on the tag. The gift does not have to be wrapped, just return your gift with the tag attached!! Gifts should be returned to the LT office by 12/9.
- Christmas Festival: Sunday, 12/9/18 Looking for teens to help at our annual Christmas festival. Help the kids from our parish visit our Secret Santa Shop, decorate Christmas Cookies, read Christmas stories, sing carols and much more. Sign up in the Life Teen room on our “How Can I Serve” bulletin board. Various shifts available!!!
- World Youth Day Rally: St. Oliver’s will be hosting a World Youth Day Rally for teens in the Archdiocese of Atlanta on January 26, 2019. We are hoping to have 500 teens in attendance. With that number of teens, it will require a lot of parent volunteers. We will need help with set up a few days before the event, during the event and clean up after the event. I will be sending out volunteer info by mid-December and am hoping that many of our Life Teen parents can volunteer to help make this event a success for the young church.
- Our Soups and Dips fundraiser is underway. This is a yummy fundraiser and makes wonderful gifts for the holidays. You sell a variety of soups and dips and can earn 50% credit of what you sell in your teen account. If you sell $100 worth of soups and dips to your friends and family, you would earn $50 in your teen account. Remember, spring retreat is just around the corner. This fundraiser ends on 12/2.
Opportunities are available to our parish families to help our parish fund some needed items/activities for the parish.
- iGive Catholic:
On Tuesday, November 27, 2018 Catholics have an opportunity to celebrate Catholic giving. On this nationwide online giving day, you can make a gift to participating parishes, schools, ministries and non-profits. If you would like to schedule your gift in advance, please visit http://www.igivecatholic.org starting November 12 and click on the Archdiocese of Atlanta and locate St. Oliver Plunkett Catholic Church or if you are already sign up for online giving you can make a donation from there, as well. Make a gift to support St. Oliver’s or your favorite ministries for as little as $25.
What is AmazonSmile? AmazonSmile is a website operated by Amazon that lets customers enjoy the same wide selection of products, low prices, and convenient shopping features as on Amazon.com. The difference is that when customers shop on AmazonSmile (smile.amazon.com), the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the price of eligible purchases to the charitable organizations selected by customers.
How does AmazonSmile work? When first visiting AmazonSmile, customers are prompted to select a charitable organization from over one million eligible organizations (select St. Oliver Plunkett Catholic Church). In order to browse or shop at AmazonSmile, customers must first select a charitable organization. For eligible purchases at AmazonSmile, the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price to the customer’s selected charitable organization.
Life Teen uses the following social media platforms/website and encourage you to be our “friend” or to follow us. You can get the most updated info about what is going on! We also post great music, videos and articles to view. Parents and Teens should check what’s up and feel free to ask questions, post comments, etc!
- Website: www.stoliverslifeteen.com
- Facebook: St. Oliver’s Life Teen
- Instagram: solifeteen
Our parish also is using social media platforms/website for our community. Please check out:
- Website: www.stolivers.com
- Parish app: St. Oliver’s Parish App: Stay connected with your parish by downloading our Parish App. Simply text the word APP to 88202. Once you receive the link back by text, click on the link and follow the prompts. This is a secure App. You can pick up an info sheet about the app in the church narthex.
- Instagram: stop_parish
Thank you for taking the time to review all this info! We appreciate your support of our youth and the parish!!!
Have a most blessed Thanksgiving.