Hello LT Families and Teens!
This year has flown by fast!!! Lots of stuff going in Life Teen and our parish, so please make sure you read this December update. I do realize this update is quite lengthy, but want to keep you all informed. Please make sure you ALL (this includes you teens!) check out each section.
Life Nights: December: 3, 10, 17 (Remember if you go to an earlier Mass, please be in the church narthex by 6pm to join us for Life Night)
*We need parents to cook in 2018. Here are the available dates: 2/11, 2/18, 2/25, 3/11 and 4/22. We provide you the funds for the meal and it can be a very simple meal!!!! Thank you to the parents who have already signed up to provide a meal!* Email me at email@example.com if you can help!!!
Leadership Teens: Leadership dinner, Wednesday, 12/6 from 6:30pm-8pm in the LT Room. Please RSVP on the evite sent to your email as I will need a count of who will be attending.
SOLT Night: Our next SOLT event is on Wednesday, December 13th from 6:30pm-8pm. We invite all teens to join us for a special Advent evening. Please eat before you come to SOLT night.
Upper Room (Bible Study for our Juniors & Seniors): Please join us on Wednesday, 11/29, 6:30pm-8pm at the rectory. Dinner is provided. No Upper Room in December. January Upper Room is on Wednesday, 1/31/18.
Pastoral Council: Life Teen has 2 representatives who are voting members on the St. Oliver Pastoral Council. We are currently seeking teens who may be interested in serving on the council as our members are graduating. Requirements include: must be a current Sophomore or Junior, able to attend one Monday meeting per month, and be in contact with the Youth Minister. If you are interested, please see Jake Weitzel or me on Sunday, 12/3 (you can also email me). Interviews for teens interested will be held on Sunday, 12/10 following Life Night. (Teens…this is a great responsibility and is great for a college resume)
Upcoming LT events: (December is a light month for events, but check out these upcoming events)
- NCYC Shareholder Social: Sunday, 3pm LT Room. This event is for NCYC teens, parents and members of the St. Oliver community who helped our teens attend NCYC.
- Life Night Workshop: Friday, 1/5/18, 6pm-9pm (Dinner provided) Adult Ed Center. Any Teen interested in planning a Life Night next semester is invited to attend this workshop. Please sign up for this event on the LT Info board located in the LT room.
- Trivia Night: Saturday, 2/10/18, 7pm This is an ADULT only event sponsored by Life Teen. Get a group of your friends/family (remember Adults only) for a fun night of food, fellowship and fun. Tickets will go on sale in January! We need our Life Teen parents to help support this event, so start getting your group together!
- Spring Retreat: Mark your calendar for March 16-18, 2018! We will travel to the Life Teen Camp Retreat Center, Covecrest. Sign up and permission slip are now available on the LT Info board located in the Life Teen room. SPACE IS LIMITED!
- Sonfest: June 4-8, 2018, Sign up and Commitment form are now available on the LT Info board located in the LT room. Permission slip and Code of Conduct will be available in January 2018.
Service: (check out the How Can I Serve bulletin board in the Life Teen Room)
- Life Teen Giving Tree: This event is currently underway! We have 17 remaining children’s names on our Giving Tree (well, we never actually put up a tree, but the tags are on the Service board in the LT room) Here is how it works: Select a tag from the board, purchase a gift for the person on the tag, bring the gift UNWRAPPED, but with tag attached to the gift and turn in by Sunday, 12/10 to the Life Teen room. Please help us help these kids have a Christmas!!! (If you can’t pick up a tag, email me and I can give you the tag info and save the tag for you when you bring in the gift.)
- Rowdy Roots: Friday, 12/15, 6pm-9pm, Our 3rd-5th grade youth group! Sign up on the “How Can I Serve Board” in the LT room.
- St. Oliver Christmas Festival: Sunday, 12/10, We will need LOTS of volunteers before/after all morning Masses. Sign up on the Service board in the LT room. (Volunteer shifts are 8:30-10:30, 10:15-12:30, 12:15-2:30)
- Christmas Set Up: Thursday, 12/21, 9:30am-11:30am, Help us transform the Family Center to a Christmas Worship space! Sign up on the Service board in the LT room.
- Donut Fellowship: Most Sunday mornings, our parish offers a Donut & Coffee Fellowship for our families. We need families to help staff the donut fellowship. This is a great way to serve our parish and is also a FIAT opportunity. If you are interested, please email Lynda VanHassel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- #iGiveCatholic on #Giving Tuesday: To celebrate our unique Catholic heritage, #iGiveCatholic is the first ever giving day created to rally the Catholic community on #GivingTuesday, November 28th-a global day of giving. This is how you do it:
- Go to www.igivecatholic.org
- Find St. Oliver Plunkett under the Archdiocese of Atlanta and bless us with your gift
- Our goal is $15,000 to be used to enhance our worship experience by updating some much-needed liturgical accessories (vestments, altar candle holders and our Stations of the Cross)
- Please prayerfully considering giving back to your Parish! Your Parish appreciates your gift!
- Advent Day of Reflection (for all members of the Parish): Saturday, 12/2, 9:30am-4pm
- Feast of the Immaculate Conception (Holy Day of Obligation) Vigil Mass: Thursday, 12/7 @ 7pm. Feast Day Masses: Friday, 12/8 @ 9am and 7pm
- Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe: Vigil: Monday, 12/11, 7pm Prayer Service followed by hot chocolate and bread in Family Center. Feast Day: Tuesday, 12/12, 7pm Liturgy followed by a Fiesta in honor of Our Lady of Guadalupe in the Family Center. ALL IN THE PARISH ARE INVITED TO ATTEND EITHER OR BOTH EVENTS!!!
- Parish Advent Penance Service: Thursday, 12/14, 7pm (a MUST for all Confirmation students and families!)
- Advent Sunday/Christmas Eve/Christmas Day Liturgies: Here is the link to check out our parish bulletin for a detailed explanation about the 4th Sunday of Advent and Christmas: https://stolivers.com/documents/bulletin-november-26-2017 (click arrow to the second page). The 4th Sunday of Advent falls on 12/24 (Christmas Eve) and will explain how to properly fulfill your 4th Sunday of Advent and Christmas obligations.
- Life Teen Christmas Eve Liturgy: Sunday, 12/24, 8pm (remember this does not fulfill your 4th Sunday of Advent obligation). If you would like to serve as an Usher/Greeter, Altar Server, Lector, Eucharistic Minister of Holy Communion, please email me ASAP!!!
- Altar Servers: We need Altar Servers at all Masses. If you are interested in serving at the altar of the Lord, please contact me at email@example.com.
- Life Teen Mass Sacristan: We are looking for a few adults/teens who might be interested in serving in this capacity during the 5pm Sunday Mass. A few of the responsibilities would be preparing the gifts for the Offertory, preparing the Altar area before Mass, reading the announcements, etc. We will train you!!! Please email me if you are interested.
- 1st Year and 2nd Year Confirmation Students and families should attend one of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception liturgies (see above). This is a Holy Day of Obligation. Teens and families should also attend the Parish Advent Penance service (see above). Also, be aware of your 4th Sunday of Advent and Christmas obligations. Please refer to info above.
- 1st Year and 2nd Year Confirmation Students….are you working on your FIATs? Lots of opportunities are available, check out the How Can I Serve Board in the Life Teen room. FIAT Reflection forms can be printed from our website at www.stoliverslifeteen.com.
- 1st Year Confirmation Prep Class for STUDENTS and PARENTS: Wednesday, 1/10/18. Please arrive by 6:50pm to sign in. Class will begin promptly at 7pm (this means if you arrive after class begins, you are not counted in the attendance). Class ends at 8:30pm. Teens meet in the Life Teen Center, PARENTS meet in the Church.
- 1st Year students: FINAL CALL for Baptismal and First Communion Certificates and Sponsor Form. These forms must be turned in by 12/17/17 to remain in our Confirmation Prep program.
- 2nd Year Confirmation Prep class for STUDENTS and PARENTS: Wednesday, 1/17/18. Please arrive by 6:50pm to sign in. Class will begin promptly at 7pm (this means if you arrive after class begins, you are not counted in the attendance). Class ends at 8:30pm. Teens meet in the Life Teen Center, PARENTS meet in the Church.
- 2ND Year Families: CONFIRMATION LITURGY IS SCHEDULED FOR SUNDAY, APRIL 15, 2018 AT THE 5PM LIFE TEEN MASS. I have been notified by the Archbishop’s office that Archbishop Gregory has been called to Rome on our Confirmation date. Father Cyriac has been given permission to serve as our Presider and will be confirming our students. This will be a most special celebration and Father Cyriac is honored to serve our teens!!!!
- Christmas Wreath Fundraiser: Wreaths were delivered to the church today and orders will be available for pickup on Wednesday, 11/29 from 1pm-8:30pm, Thursday, 11/30 from 11am-4pm and on Sunday, 12/3 following Life Night.
- Soups & Dips Sales: All orders are due to the Life Teen office on Sunday, 12/3/17!
- Life Teen Raffle: This UPCOMING fundraiser (held during Lent) is again another way for teens to earn credit in their Life Teen account to fund retreats, Sonfest, etc. Teens will earn a percentage of credit for each raffle ticket they sell. More info will be available in January.
Remember the Life Teen closet is always in need of soda!!!
Check the website for updated information: www.stoliverslifeteen.com. Join our Facebook page at St. Oliver’s Life Teen! Please keep Life Teen in your prayers!!!
In Christ’s service,